Typography's Journal

Typography - Exercise


28/08/19 - 20/09/19 (Week 1- Week 5)
Tabita Febrilia Dinata (0340573)
Typography
Exercise



LECTURE

LECTURE 1 : INTRODUCTION

28/08/19 (Week 1)
We start this class with an introduction to Typography that is explained by our lecturer. And also we've been taught to make a blog so we use that blog to post our journal in this module and post our exercises, project, and whatever we do in class there. 

The thing that we have to know about typography for the first time are the 3 terminologies of typography :

1. Font : The design process of typeface
2. Typeface : a particular design of type. e.g; Arial, Helvetica, etc.
3. Type family : the entire family of the typeface. e.g; Bold, italic.

LECTURE 2 : DEVELOPMENT / TIMELINE

04/09/19 (Week 2)
This week we learn about the development of typography, for me it's a history about typography from the perspective from the western world. The development began at the 3rd - 10th Century. The first handwritten is from Roman, Square capitals were the written version that can be found in Roman monuments.
fig 2.1 : Square Capital
And then there's a timeline about the text type classification, it started at the 1450 with a Blackletter.
fig 2.2 : Text type classification (1450-1990)

LECTURE 3 : TEXT / TRACKING

11/09/19 (Week 3)
In this class, we learn more about typography and it's basic theory. There are 2 elements in text and tracking. Kerning and Letter spacing. And also these are the things that we need to remember for the rest of our life. 

Kerning : Space between letters.
Letter spacing : To add space between letters.
Tracking : The addition or removal of space in word.

Rivers : gaps in typesetting.
55 - 56 are the appropriate line length

How to determine your line length :
1. Identify your type
2. Identify the type size (8-12pt)
3. Identify line length + leading


fig 3.1 : Anatomy of A Typeface



LECTURE 4 : TEXT / INDICATING PARAGRAPH

18/09/19 (Week 4)
Today, Mr.Vinod explained about indicating paragraph, there's a few things we should remember about this class. It's pilcrow, widow & orphan
Pilcrow : Paragraph spacing, to indicate a new paragraph
Widow : Alone at the end of a column of text.
Orphan : Alone at the start of new column



fig 4.1 : Line spacing vs Leading

fig 4.2 : Widow vs Orphan





INSTRUCTION


Exercises
Animated Lettering  (Week 1 - Week 2)
Our lecturer told us to make a lettering of our name by design them into something that reflect our personality.
fig 1.1 : I'm a bit silly person so make this kind of silly

The 2nd week we were told to make an animation from the font that we made. But first we have to digitise our letter sketch to Adobe Illustration.
fig 2.1 : Process of digitize 1
fig 2.2 : Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul told me to choose between
 this 2 font but I still can't decide yet so I make both

fig 2.3 : Then finally I decide to choose this
fig 2.4 : So i improve my font and make
the frame for the animation

fig 2.5 : Final Result (My Personality is 'Silly' and 'Sloppy'



Font Expression (Week 3 - Week 4)
This week we have to make a font expression based on what our lecturer has given. We have to express 6 kind of letter with only using 9 types families provided to us.

fig 3.1 : Sketch 
fig 3.2 : Digitise Version
                                                                 fig 3.3 : PDF Version         

After we finished digitise our sketch letter, Mr. Vinod told us to choose one from this six letter to make it as an animation. So I choose Sneeze.

fig 3.4 : The Process
fig 3.5 : I'm expressing sneeze (Result)

I'm not too sure about my work so I make one more animation.

fig 3.6 : Process
fig 3.7 : GIGANTIC Expression



FEEDBACK

Week 2

General feedback : We should not stop while drawing the lines. Doing it non-stop is the key to consistency. Also, many people didn't get the thin and thick lines of circles, so we should try harder.

Specific feedback : I've designed 2 page of my personality font the first page is my sharp personality and the second one is the silly one. When I show it to Mr.Vinod and Mr.Shamsul they choose the silly one because they said the silly one is good and better and then they choose 2 type from 5 that I make then they told me to decide what will I choose from those 2 choices.

Week 3 

General feedback : We have to label the picture that we posted in blog with a caption. The instruction is bigger than exercises.

Specific feedback : Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul said that my animation is cute and looks silly and sloppy (Based on my personality) at first they said the animation a little bit slow but it's okay. It looks good.


Week 4

General Feedback : Screen grab the process, but when post it to blog must export to jpeg. Embed     the pdf. We have to install all the 9 font families that Mr. Vinod has provided.

Specific feedback : I have to change my sketch picture because there's a shadow in it, and also Mr.Vinod and Mr. Shamsul doesn't saw the expression at my first animation 'Sneeze' but I have make the 2nd animation 'Gigantic' they said the animation is good but don't stretch the font family.




REFLECTION

Experience :

Week 1; I felt a little bit confused and shock with all the lecture that has been given to us. But I turns out I became know about the basic of typography.
Week 2; I found it fun to do a personality lettering, but at first I struggle to think about what my personality are.
Week 3; Is the most tiring day for me, because our lecturer told us to done the expression font on that day, so i do my best quickly.
Week 4; Making animation again also fun, but at first I can't decided what am I going to animated from the 6 words that I've sketch.

Observation :

Week 1; I realise that we can make some artwork from ourself and also we can discover our self by doing personality letter.
Week 2; When we practice more ideas will come out.
Week 3; It's fun to do an expression design and we can do it in all aspect of life.
Week 4; It turns out we cannot change/stretch the font families.

Findings :

Week 1; I used to play with photoshop but I never know about Illustrator and I never draw something on laptop, so this is my first time drawing something with mouse, so I have to practice so I can get used to , to draw something on illustrator.
Week 2; These practice realised me that I can do something that I never had in my mind before like designing expression for the letter.
Week 3; It's better too use a graph paper to illustrate our sketch.
Week 4; We have to look at other people's work too, so we can see how our different mind and ideas creating something good.


FURTHER READING

An Essay on Typography by Eric Gill
20/09/19 - 22/09/19 (Week 4)

Fig 6.1 : An Essay on Typography book
According to Gill, one of the most alluring enthusiasms that can occupy the mind of the letterer is that inventing a really logical and consistent alphabet having a distinct sign for every distinct sound.  He jokes about this world needs a new letter and a revaluation of existing one, but this enthusiasm has no practical value to the typographers. He said that we must take the alphabets we all got and take those alphabets in all essentials as we have inherited them.






DRAWING LETTERS:LETTERING by Carolina Amell
20/09/19 - 22/09/19 (Week 4)

Fig 6.2 : Lettering book

This book shows a lot of typography design, it says Lettering signifies "inscribed letters". We can understand this from those works characterised by their manual nature and therefore by their imperfections and free style. This book also compiled works from great artists which have personal and varied style so we can compare our style with other people taste. And also this book provide the artists that explain to us first-hand their way of working.

Like Megan Hyland, she shared about what are the process for her to make a lettering. So I can see the different ways of people designing letter. She started by sketching by hand quite loosely to get the flow of the letters.  The she draw and redraw until she happy with the spacing of the letter. Usually she work with pitt pens or sharpies. The she scan the final sketch and digitise it into illustrator. This method are the same like our lecturer taught us how to make a lettering.

Otherwise, Chris Piascik usually quickly write the phrase down so that he can be better visualise word length and decide where the line breaks will be emphasise. He usually do this several times in plain block letters until he get the placement right. Then, once he done with the composition he will start drawing over that to work out style. And he draw directly in photoshop.












Comments

Popular Posts